POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Garden - Work in Progress : Re: Garden - Work in Progress Server Time
4 Oct 2024 03:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garden - Work in Progress
From: Jerome M  BERGER
Date: 5 Oct 1999 14:24:06
Message: <37FA423A.38626F35@enst.fr>
Tika wrote:

> Jerome M. BERGER <jbe### [at] enstfr> wrote in message
>
> > Bob Hughes wrote:
> >> Btw, please don't put a black 'disc' on there for the openings, okay?  : )
>
> > OTOH you could difference a box inside: right now it looks like a solid
> > box with a circular hole rather than an empty box with a circular
> > opening...
>
> Oh, NOW I see what you're saying... I think instead of the cube I made up in
> sPatch, I will use some planes to make a hollow box intead. That'll be
> tricky - not sure if POV-Ray has square surfaces that can be put together.
>
> --
>
> Tika
>
> Tika's Graphics: http://www.5thpower.com/tika/

	I'm not sure planes would do what you want: plane are actually solid
object, not surfaces, in POV: one side is "inside" and the other is
"outside" so if you difference a cylinder from a plane you won't get a
hole that allows you to see what's on the other side, but you'll get the
same kind of hole you already have with your box. I believe the easiest
way to get what you want is to difference a slightly smaller box from
the birdhouse:

difference {
  box { -1, 1 }
  box { -0.9, 0.9 }
  cylinder { 0, x, 0.3 }
  pigment { color Yellow }
}

		Jerome

--

* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *